Date:      Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:51:04 +0100
From:      Dario Freni <saturnero@gufi.org>
To:        freesbie@gufi.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeSBIE-1.0-i386 Released

--=-D4oERAL5a5kqYgzoL8DK

The FreeSBIE project is proud to announce the release of
FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso

FreeSBIE is a bootable CD with the FreeBSD operating system and a
collection of software to address the needs of an etherogeneus public.

FreeSBIE-1.0 is based on FreeBSD 5.2.1 for the ia32 platform, and has a
hardware recognition system which lets it find automagically all the
peripherals supported on FreeBSD 5.2.1.

FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso is the result of the toolkit provided for FreeBSD,
and is released to show the power of the operating system and of
FreeSBIE itself.

FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso is addressed to the following categories of users:

- System Administrators;
- Developers;
- Final users;

With FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso it is possible to satisfy users who:

- have the need for multimedia applications;
- make deep network analysis;
- have problems with damaged or unusable FreeBSD installations;
- want to test new FreeBSD functionalities;
- need a completely functional FreeBSD system;
- want to illustrate and/or release a product based on FreeBSD;
- need the power of FreeBSD but don't have the immediate chance to=20
  install it/configure it.

FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso is also designed for day-to-day use through a
collection of programs which come with it, thought for a typical
workstation use:

- Evolution as Personal Information Manager;
- Gaim as Instant Messenger;
- Pan as newsreader;
- XMMS and MPlayer as multimedia players;
- XChat as IRC client

For a complete list of available applications on FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso,
check the file FreeSBIE-1.0-pkgs.txt available on our FTP sites (see
below).
When choosing the applications we tried to address both the needs of the
desktop users and console users. In fact we give you the chance to use
Mutt, as well as Evolution, and together with Firefox we provide links,
while with XChat we offer irssi.

Those interested in downloading our software, can find
FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso on the following FTP sites:
=09
ftp://ftp.freesbie.org=09
ftp://ftp2.freesbie.org

The main website for the FreeSBIE toolkit is:

http://www.FreeSBIE.org

where you can also find some more explicative screenshots.

Our thanks for the help provided goes to:
All the ones who are excluded from this list;
All the authors of the included packages;
The FreeBSD Team (http://www.FreeBSD.org);
The Italian FreeBSD Users Group (http://www.gufi.org);
nocomp@d173.com for the hardware donated;
fjoe@FreeBSD.org for the cloop utility FreeBSD port (compressed
filesystem)

FreeSBIE-1.0-i386.iso will surely not be error-prone, wanted or not, but
it's a 1.0 release, and as such please beg our pardon for our mistakes.
To contact the members of the FreeSBIE project, we invite you to visit
the project's website in the "contacts" section.

Some programs included are released under the GPL license. The related
sources can be found on the homepages of the rispected projects.

The FreeSBIE project remains open to suggestions, developments and
observations. Hoping to have created a usable product, efficient and
satisfying for your needs, we wish you

a great fun with FreeSBIE,
The FreeSBIE project

--=-D4oERAL5a5kqYgzoL8DK