Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:13:51 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need a FBSD guru

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 06:56:14PM -0500, Mark A. Hummel wrote:

> - Although my printer is recognized as well as the parallel port, the
> printer doesn't print.  I've gone through the setup in the book 3
> times.   What's the trick?  My Printcap looks okay and I've added an lpd
> directory to /var/spool/output.

[snip]

> ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
> ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
> ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE
> Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
> ppbus0: <Lexmark           Lexmark 5700  > LEXWPS

I think the Lexmark 5700 is one of those dreaded WinPrinters. If you
look at

http://www.lexmark.com/US/Services/SelfService/FAQs/display/0,1197,MzgyXklua2pldCtUZWNobm9sb2d5XjU3MDArQ29sb3IrSmV0cHJpbnRlcl5ET1MrNSUyRXgrb3IraGlnaGVyJTJDK0RPUw==,00.html

It states that to print from DOS apps that won't run from a Windows
DOS box you have to boot "real" DOS, print to a file, reboot
Windows, then print the file.

If it can't print from vanilla DOS I can't see you having much success
under Unix. Sorry.

FWIW, HP are very good at stating on their website whether a printer
will run under Unix or not (probably because of HP-UX).

--
  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?