Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:14:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: BSD licence vs GPL

On 21-Feb-01 Dennis Jun wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> A Linux friend of mine and I were chatting bout the BSD licence versus the
> GPL. He was asking me how *BSD developers felt about that their code could
> (and has) being used by commercial companies and in turn becomes closed in
> the end. That is, you don't know if your code will stay open or not. He
> asked doesn't that bother BSD developers? I thought this was a very
> interesting question. I couldn't give him a really good answer since I'm
> not a programmer. So I wanted to ask some people who do program and
> contribute to BSD what their thoughts on this is. Does it bother you? Is
> it even an issue? Much thanx in advance.

Erm, just because a company uses a copy of my code in their closed source
program doesn't mean that the copy of the code I have given away magically
disappears.  Once it is open, it is always open.  However, I am not of the
opinion that closed-source software is this evil thing we all need to hate and
attempt to destroy, so I have no problem with any code I release being used in
either open or closed source projects.  If I'm giving it away, I'm giving it
away.