Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:17:00 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
To:        Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Create a mirror on disk with valid data

Danny Howard wrote:

> I have only ever mirrored disks with data on them.  Its a question of
> bootstrap - does the mirror comes first or does the data you are going
> to mirror come first?

Suppose the disk has valuable data in the last sector and you are
going to create a mirror from this disk. What is going to happen when
the last sector is overwritten with the mirror metadata? Your data will
be lost, right? Suppose you need to access the last sector, access
will be denied, right?

> My crib sheet is at
> http://dannyman.toldme.com/2005/01/24/freebsd-howto-gmirror-system/

I have read this document. Have you ever tried to newfs a partition
you have mirrored this way? Look at my second mail (screen output), it
seems that such a partition cannot be newfs'ed without changing the
label, because access to the last sector is denied.

Please try to:

1. fdisk and label a disk, create a partition that occupies the whole
disk. "disklabel -w ad0s1 auto" will automatically create an "a"
partition for you.

2. create a mirror from this disk, e.g. "gmirror label gm1 ad0"

3. newfs /dev/mirror/gm1s1a

and see what happens.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN