Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:56:19 -0500
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        "Ilya Krel" <ilya@krel.org>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vpn vs natd

Skip on two gateway boxes connect two networks together, over the Internet
if desired, tunneling from the one box to the other.  The networks behind
the gateways can be public or private.  Either or both of the boxes can also
be running natd on a many to one basis.

Ipfw is used to divert packets to the natd process usually by an any to any
match.  Skip is implemented in a shim between ipfw and the external network
interface.

The technique is to preceed the natd divert rule with rules that match
packets that are to be transmitted over the VPN and, therefore, should not
be diverted to ipfw.

The technique can be extended to as many nodes (each with a network behind
it) as you want for the VPN.

By stand-alone - yes you have to partner with other skip-aware devices and
that pretty much means Sun, FreeBSD and Linux.