Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:27:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com, nik@blueberry.co.uk
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Routers - hardware received wisdom

On 18 Sept 1996 dennis@etinc.com (Dennis) was quoted as saying:
> Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk> asjed:
>>I'm going to be requiring two network routers, and since FreeBSD is more
>>than capable of the task, I figured I'd go for the cheap 486 option.
>>
>>One of these routers will be sat between a 2Mb/s leased line and a 10Mb/s
>>ethernet, and the other will be between 2 10Mb/s ethernets.
>>
>>As far as I can tell, FreeBSD 2.1.5, a PCI based 66MHz 486DX with 16MB RAM
>>and 2 DC201040 PCI network cards should be sufficient.
>>
>>But can I drop it any lower than that? Would the boxes be fine with 8MB
>>RAM? What about 33MHz machines?
>
>Its totally dependent on how much local ethernet traffic you have. If  you will
>be switching lots of traffic locally, you might be unhappy with a 33Mhz box.
>
>But at today's prices, what are you going to save? $10.? Its not worth it.
>100Mhz processars are only $32 or so....you're spending more than that
>thinking about it.
>
>Dennis

I think that Dennis' comment & what Joe said in his note answered a question
that I've had lurking in the back of my mind, "Just what is sufficient to run
a FreeBSD T-1 capable router?"

Granted that a no-name MB & 133Mhz 486 is running around $120, but I
"happen to have" a 386/33, 8mb, 300mb disk sitting in the corner, with
an ethernet card in it (isa only :^,).  And I have a need for a T-1 capable
box soon.  Since it would be a fairly un-saturated T-1, I suspect that
I will be able to get away with it for a while...  Then the question becomes,
how many 56/64k/128/256k frame relay links could a "little" box like that
handle?  (Must be the Scots in me, I hate to throw away anything!)

Thanks
John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting