Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 07:30:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        ryuson@263.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help

Hi!

On 17 May 1999 ryuson@263.net wrote:

> Hello:
>      I had configured sound card and cd-rom in my kernel,succeed
> in rebooting use new kernel,and I had makedev sound card and
> cd-rom.
>      I installed xcdplayer.When I use xcdplayer,system display:
> Device isn't configured.Need I mount cd-rom?When I use 'mount -t
> cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt'to mount cd-rom,system display:Input/output
> error.
>      What's matter with my system?What can I do?
Well, the truth is that xcdplayer was intended to control Sun CD rom
drives and therefore does not work well on every system. (It doesn't say
so in the ports description but you will find this if you do a man
xcdplayer. Therefore if you have an IDE-ATAPI CD-ROM drive, consider using
xmcd. This one needs to be configured, read the docs before using it. But
it's the only one that actually worked with my Sony CDU621, at least
partly. It needs to be exited and restarted each time I insert a new CD.
(xcd also
worked but I had to be root each time I wanted to start it.)

I hope it helps.

Regards:
          Szilveszter

          Szeged University