Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 10:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10872: Panic in sorecieve()

The following reply was made to PR kern/10872; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To: Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc: freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, bob@pmr.com,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:47:07 -0500

 On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 01:28:42AM +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
 > Pierre Beyssac wrote:
 > > I was looking into PR kern/10872, hoping to find an easily fixable
 > > occurence of NULL mbuf pointer. But it doesn't seem to be.
 >
 > I just looked at the PR.  He's running:
 >
 >     ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 12 on pci0.10.0
 >     ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
 >     ncr0: <ncr 53c810 fast10 scsi> rev 0x01 int a irq 11 on pci0.12.0
 >     ncr1: <ncr 53c875 fast20 wide scsi> rev 0x03 int a irq 9 on pci0.13.0
 >
 > It should be noted that freefall had a severe case of problems like this
 > that all but disappeared when the ncr cards were swapped for an ahc2940U2W.

 I wish that were so.  I wound up replacing the entire system (everything
 except the tape library and drive) with one that has 2 ncr adapters in
 it (one for the holding disks and the other for the tape library/drive)
 and still got the panic.

 > Quite how this should make such a dramatic difference is a bit of a
 > mystery.  We were seeing really strange things like a bit of the kernel
 > stack being partly trashed and messing up some local variables..

 This problem seems to be very timing sensative.  I will try to recreate
 it again here on my -current test system.

 Bob

 --
 Bob Willcox             The man who follows the crowd will usually get no
 bob@luke.pmr.com        further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is