Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:21:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI related patch ..

On 23-Feb-98 The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>       My opinion tends to be to bring in something that does work, and
> then from there, improve it...else it never gets done :(  This patch may
> not be the best way to do it, but it is one way, and, as far as I can
> tell, it doesn't disrupt anything in the kernel, since I'm running live
> with it right now...

My $0.02 worth:

Last I checked IOCTL stood for I/O Control.  Let's keep it this way.  To
turn an IOCTL system call READ to a bonfide read operation, as Dennis
intended it to be, is all of 20 minutes.  Testing included.  Let's have the
thing semantically correct, before we accept it.  If desired, send me the
patch and I'll add the read.write interface.

Simon