Date:      03 Mar 2002 11:11:29 -0800
From:      Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        "Justin L. Boss" <jlboss@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA  3D FreeBSD Drivers

On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 08:25, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:

> I don't think I'm missing your point, I just disagree with it.
>
> Instead of fighting for FreeBSD I'd rather fight for open source software,
> and the nvidia Linux "solution" is to include Linux in their closed-source
> world.  You want them to include FreeBSD in their closed-source world as
> well.
>
> This seems more like betrayal to the cause than fighting for the cause to me,
> and I, for one, am not going to fight for that.
>
> A petition for them to release their information so that FreeBSD *and* other
> O/S's could take advantage of their hardware--*that*, I would support.
>
> But not this.

I think you are missing the point because until Nvidia gets out of their
NDA agreement with whoever they have them with, pushing them to release
technology they don't own is pointless. You're trying to pluck the
feathers off the chicken before the chicken has hatched.
Yes, I'd rather have open source drivers for Nvidia but until we get
them I'll gladly settle for Nvidia hiring some BSD developers so they
can release binary drivers themselves.