Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 14:23:51 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>, Brian Minard <bminard@flatfoot.ca>
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade / pkgdb question

On 18 May 2002, at 9:53, Kent Stewart boldly uttered:

> Jens Rehsack wrote:

> >>Try portsdb -Uu.  The recommendation is that you run this command
> >>after you update your ports collection.  I run this command after each
> >>cvsup of the ports collection I perform.
> >>

> > It will be done by "make index" in /usr/ports, too.
>

> That only remakes /usr/ports/INDEX and the portupgrade set also needs
> INDEX.db. If you use portsdb -uU, it remakes both of them.

Re: the problem I was originally talking about, where if the packages
are missing "origin" you have to manually fix it when running
"pkgdb -F".

This is actually not the case, but it's not documented. (looks like
the manpage for pkgdb is either incomplete or was never finished)

When you run "pkgdb -F" and run into a package which has no origin,
and if you then answer "NO" or "N" to that question, it WILL "guess"
the origin and prompt you to accept (or change).

This is the functionality I was hoping for and it does greatly
improve the process because I don't have to sit down and make a list
of paths for over 200 packages and then type them in manually.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium