Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 1998 08:37:43 +0000
From:      "Skip Hansen" <shansen@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xfree86 3.3.1 & FreeBSD 2.2.5 & Mach32 sync problem

I've been using FreeBSD and Xfree86 with the Mach32 X server for
several years without problem.  Recently I upgraded from FreeBSD
2.1.6 to 2.2.5 with Xfree 3.3.1 and I'm now having a minor problem
that's driving me crazy.  The problem is that when I exit X (or
switch to a text mode virtual console) my monitor loses horizontal
sync.  Using vidcontrol to reset the console mode does not restore
sync. The only thing that will get the monitor to sync again is a
complete system restart.  The generic VGA256 server does not have
this problem.

I've recompiled the Mach32 server from sources and it does exactly
the same thing.  I've looked at Mach32 server deltas from 3.1.1 to
3.3.1 and nothing jumped out at me.  Looks like the biggest changes
were the addition of support for 24 bpp (I'm using 8) and support
for the XDGA extension.  I built a server with XDGA disabled and
that didn't help.  The only other thing I saw was some changes for
an AST version of the Mach32, I've verified that the AST switch was
not set.

I don't believe this is a kernel problem since the generic VGA
server works correctly.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to
fix this ?  I'm also open to suggestions as to a better forum for
this questions since I don't think it's a FreeBSD problem.  (I've
posted to comp.windows.x.i386 but didn't get many responses.)

Skip Hansen