Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:46:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alexander Maret <maret@axis.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum & mirrored drives

On Wednesday, 21 July 1999 at 14:12:44 +0200, Alexander Maret wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is what I get on typing "list":
> #######################################################
> vinum -> list
> Configuration summary
>
> Drives:         2 (4 configured)
> Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
> Plexes:         2 (8 configured)
> Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)
>
> D a                     State: up       Device /dev/da0e        Avail: 0/450 MB (0%)
> D b                     State: up       Device /dev/da1e        Avail: 0/450 MB (0%)
>
> V tmp                   State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        449 MB
>
> P tmp.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        449 MB
> P tmp.p1              C State: initializing     Subdisks:     1 Size: 449 MB
>
> S tmp.p0.s0             State: up       PO:        0  B Size:        449 MB
> S tmp.p1.s0             State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:        449 MB
> #########################################################
>

> Is it normal that the state of mirrored subdisks is always
> "initializing" and that the state of tmp.p1.s0 is "empty" and not
> "up".

I don't see any subdisks in the 'initializing' state.  Depending on
your configuration file, the 'initializing' state for second and
subsequent plexes is correct.  To quote the man page:

     2.   When you create a volume with multiple plexes, vinum does not auto-
          matically initialize the plexes.  This means that the contents are
          not known, but they are certainly not consistent.  As a result, by
          default vinum sets the state of all newly-created plexes except the
          first to stale. In order to synchronize them with the first plex,
          you must start their subdisks, which causes vinum to copy the data
          from a plex which is in the up state.  Depending on the size of the
          subdisks involved, this can take a long time.

          In practice, people aren't too interested in what was in the plex
          when it was created, and other volume managers cheat by setting them
          up anyway.  vinum provides two ways to ensure that newly created
          plexes are up:

          o   Create the plexes and then synchronize them with vinum start.

          o   Create the volume (not the plex) with the keyword setupstate,
              which tells vinum to ignore any possible inconsistency and set
              the plexes to be up.

> If I format this vinum drive

Never format a drive if you have vinum subdisks on it.  You'll lose
your configuration.

> and copy any data to it only the first drive's led is on. Vinum
> doesn't seem to copy any data to the other drive. How can I get my
> second drive up?

vinum start tmp.p1

Greg