Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 06:41:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   amd behavior (freebsd 2.1R)

OK, my cluster of 16 boxes mounts from an alpha. I use amd. I just now
got around to looking at why it always takes 5-7 seconds to log in to the
cluster machines.

In a nutshell, it's a problem at the freebsd side. When i log in, i see a
call to the nfs nullproc from freebsd to the alpha. alpha replies.
Then there's delay. Then i see the call repeated (!). Then i see normal
amd activity (mount the remote file system, basically).

seems to me that at the freebsd end, at some point, the first reply is
lost. Anyone else seeing this or something like it? it's weird. Maybe
the alpha is just too fast for my poor pentiums ... :-)

on a side note, it was funny to see how much faster freebsd could build
NTP than a sparc-20 running solaris 2.5.

ron

Ron Minnich                |" Microsoft Word: It does so little and it does
rminnich@sarnoff.com       |  it so slowly" -- Maya Gokhale
(609)-734-3120             |
ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html