Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:33:39 +0200
From:      Jan Rhebergen <jan.rhebergen@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ext2fs problem, wrong magic number

Hi there,

I'm running BSD 4.0 release. To be able to mount my old Linux partitions I
recompiled the kernel with support for ext2fs by adding the line

option ext2fs

to the MYKERNEL configuration file. After installing the kernel and rebooting
I tried to mount the ext2 partition but got an error message about wrong magic
number expecting,...

BSD is installed on slice 3 i.e. /dev/ad4s3a etc. The Linux ext2 partition is
on the second one on the drive. Presumably /dev/ad4s2 right? So mounting it
should be something like this

mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad4s2 /mnt

if I'm not mistaken. On top of that I have some ext2 partition living in side
an etended dos partition which is /dev/ad4s4

Questions:
- What am I doing wrong trying to mount the ext2 partition?
- How should I mount ext2 partition that are encapsulated in a dos extended
partition?

Help is appreciated,

regards,

Jan

----
home: M. Gouweloospoort 8, 2611 JN  Delft, Nederland, phone: +31 15 2144660
web-personal: http://www.pobox.com/~jan.rhebergen, personal-ICQ#: 12946867
work-Email: Rhebergen@fel.tno.nl, work-phone: +31 70 3740772