Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 14:59:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        cat@ghost.uunet.ca (Cat Okita)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice/Recommendation needed

I'm involved with three companies that are using BSD as integral parts of
high-end systems (as a non-customer-visible compnent) or in embedded products.

in each case the decision has been that the support available from the vendors
is not timely enough or reliable enough for the systems in question..
(in some cases processing 100's of millions of dollars per day) and the
large number of people familair with the inside of BSD, and the fact that
the sources are easily available lead to the oppposite conclusion to that
you draw. The general experience has been that companies such as SUN and HP
are very unresponsive to unexpected problems (we waited for 2 months before SUN
would admit a problem exeisted recently) and that their beaurocracy
simply serves to wear-down the customer until only the persistant
are left..

BSD in it's various forms has allowed us to create systems that could easily
be tailored to the task at hand with the ultimate in "warm fuzzy feelings.."
the source code, and am email alias with hundreds of people who
can give productive advice on what ever your problem might be..

These companies I mention are not always small fry.. you'd be surprised
at where BSD turns up...

to recap.. we've found we get better response by using FreeBSD and friends,
than by trusting SUN and HP to hold our hands.. If we had commercial packages
in greater abundance, it would be perfect..