Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:05:54 +0600
From:      Dmitry Suhodoev <raven@bingo.chel.ru>
To:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: error deleting r/o (by windows) files on smbfs

Hi, Ruben.

>> have admin windows share: //machine/admin$, i.e. full access. my os computer is FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE from 28 aug 2002. on this windows share (mounted to /mount/smb/machine/admin) i cannot remove
>> files (even rm -f: access denied) which having dos/windows attributes "read-only", though this files have 755 unix attributes. i has try chown 777 (by root). chown doesn't report error, but
>> attributes do not be installed.
RdG> This is not a bug. Unix and Windows filesystems' attributes are not the
RdG> same, and you can't expect Unix filesystem tools like chmod to work on
RdG> Windows attributes, just like you can't work with NTFS ACLs.
RdG> Why don't you just remove the read-only attribute from the Windows side?
this is a rsync (/usr/ports/net/rsync) side, and it must be syncronised
remotely and regulary. i can't removing read-only attributes on all files
regulary, cause i'm unix admin, but not the operator :-)

the question still open: how delete the r/o files from windows share (with full
access grants) on smbfs?

--
Dmitry Suhodoev, http://bingo.chel.ru/, icq#550315