Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:06:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2-RC1 failure on 164LX

John Polstra writes:
 > I tried the RC1 boot floppies on this machine:
<...>
 > I think it is a failure to initialize something.  If I first boot
 > up -current from my hard drive and then try booting from the floppy
 > without powering down the machine, the floppy works fine and gets me
 > to the installation menu.  But when I try to boot a freshly powered
 > machine from the floppy, it fails.  (I haven't tried this very many
 > times, but that seems to be the pattern.)

Alphas don't zero their memory on reboot like PCs do, so a fresh power
up would certainly leave the machine in a different state.

 > I would urge everybody who has tested RC1 to try it again on a
 > freshly powered-up machine!

I can report that an AS500 5/266 boots both the floppy and CD fine
when freshly powered up:

 Digital AlphaStation 500/266 Console V6.7-2
        built on Jan 19 1998 at 14:53:02

As does an AS200 4/166:
	V6.7-2, built on Jan 20 1998 at 09:56:27

Maybe it is firmware version dependant?   I'll try a cold boot of my
UP1000 after it finishes a buildworld, it is rather finicky when it
comes to the loader.

Drew