Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:30:07 -0500
From:      "Bosko Milekic" <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        "Renaud Waldura" <renaud@waldura.org>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Len Conrad" <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Subject:   Re: Re: Re: postfix: No buffer space available

Since nobody else has asked this, I think I will:

What network device are you using and with what driver?
Please show the output of `ifconfig -a' when you notice this problem.
Finally, try `ifconfig <the_interface> down' followed by `ifconfig
<the_interface> up' when you notice this, and see if it temporarily
fixes the problem.

Thanks to Matthew Dodd and NetBSD, I think we may have a solution to
the ep wedging problems (which has similar symptoms, by the way)
sometime soon (i.e. when I get around to it this weekend, after first
mid-term, if noone beats me to it).

In the meantime, it would be nice to know if there are other devices
exhibiting this behavior.

(All this assuming, of course, that what you're describing is not the
result of a kernel resource shortage, such as mbuf starvation, etc.)

Regards,
Bosko.

Renaud Waldura wrote:

> > >But neither parameter takes effect.
>
> They may be read-only if you're running with securelevel > 0.
Otherwise they
> "take effect" just fine.
>

> > Anybody got any other ideas how scale FreeBSD up to postfix's
needs?

> Yes, recompile your kernel with "maxusers 128" or more. This tweaks
a bunch
> of stuff, notably mbufs.
>
> E.g. with 128 "users" I've got:
>
> 226/1920/10240 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
>         159 mbufs allocated to data
>         67 mbufs allocated to packet headers
> 130/1438/2560 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
> 3116 Kbytes allocated to network (9% in use)
> 0 requests for memory denied
> 0 requests for memory delayed
> 0 calls to protocol drain routines
>

> --Renaud