Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:19:04 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Jonathan T. Sage" <sagejona@theatre.msu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd machine as a wireless access point ?

On Friday 23 April 2004 08:01 am, Jonathan T. Sage wrote:
> Probably.  I'm not too familiar with how the ad-hoc connections work,
> but i am certain that for a single client it would work.  Just get a
> wireless NIC in it, play a little routing magic, maybe look at the dhcpd
> port (dhcp server)
>
> ~j
>
> Darryl Hoar wrote:
> > I have a spare PC with Freebsd installed on it.  Can I configure
> > this machine to be a wireless access point ?
> >
> > just curious.
> >
> > -D

=46rom 'man wi':

"Cards based on the Intersil PRISM-II and PRISM-2.5 chips also have a
host-based access point mode which allows the card to act as an access
point (base station).  Access points are different than operating in IBSS
mode.  They operate in BSS mode.  They allow for easier roaming and
bridge all ethernet traffic such that machines connected via an access
point appear to be on the local ethernet segment.

=46or more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8)."

Once you get the device properly configured and working as an access point,=
=20
you'll need to configure the computer as a gateway and add NAT into you're=
=20
firewall.  For home networking, the choice between dynamic and static ip=20
addresses is probably a question of personal preference.

Also, since different cards support difference levels of encryption, consid=
er=20
your security options before you purchase hardware.  If you're going to use=
 a=20
VPN, the choice of hardware shouldn't matter as much.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould