Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 1995 05:15:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jspringr@tribeca.ios.com (Jeffrey Springer)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Backing up to SCSI & missing man pages

Jeffrey Springer writes:

> I am trying to do a backup using dump to my scsi tape system. I
> looked in the man pages and found an entry for 'bt' and read that
> the tape device for it was 'st0'. It also told me to check the man
> page for 'st'. There is no 'st' man page on my system (I re-extracted
> the man pages from the cdrom).

I have a man page for st, though I've never installed from the CD-ROM.
Which CD-ROM are you looking on?

> Where can I obtain the missing man pages?
>
> I then looked for the following files:
> 	bt
> 	bt0
> 	st
> 	st0
> 	st0*
>
> Whereupon I found st0cntl0, st0cntl1, st0cntl2, st0cntl3 and st0cntl4.
>
> What are they? Can I use them for backing up? How?

These are the control devices, and they are covered in the missing man
page.  They are not for backing up but for setting modes, etc.

> I then found a README in a .../scsi directory that suggested I look
> at the man pages -  the ones I don't have  -  and also referred me
> to a Chapter 9  -  which I also don't have or know how to obtain.
> The README also had a reference to 'generic scsi device'.  Buf,
> alas, no information about what it is, how to use it, where to find
> out about it, etc.

That README is a little out of date.  "generic scsi" is described
in "man 8 scsi" and "man 3 scsi"

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936