Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 20:39:33 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Jun 29:
> > Actually, you know, a registry implemented as Windows-style INI files
> > would be pretty easy to hand-edit OR machine-edit. It's one of the few
> > things that Microsoft came up with (if they did, I wouldn't be surprised
> > to learn that they just appropriated something some app was using) that's
> > actually reasonably well designed. And it'd make it REALLY easy to slip
> > Samba in...
>
> ???
>
> Samba implements a .INI file manipulation library.  But it is evil.
>
> The reason for the Windows 95 registry implementation was the explosive
> proliferation of .INI files.  I would hate for FreeBSD to go down that

hun?  I thought win31 had a registry too, it's just that apps didn't
use/didn't have access to the registry...  I remeber running regedit
on a win31 box...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 683 7109
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for