Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 11:00:51 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Delayed startup script

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:24:13AM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> Is there a way to start portsentry automatically after everything else
> has already started ??

You'd put its startup script into /usr/local/etc/rc.d and give it an
alphabetically late name... but see below.

> From what I can understand of the portsentry docs, it needs to be
> started after other things because it monitors unused ports.
>
> According to the Handbook "The resource configuration system reads in
> configuration defaults from /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and system-specific
> details from /etc/rc.conf, and then proceeds to mount the system
> filesystems mentioned in /etc/fstab, start up networking services,
> starts up miscellaneous system daemons, and finally runs the startup
> scripts of locally installed packages"
>
> Seems I need a  "startup scripts of locally installed packages", but
> there doesn't appear to be one provided with portsentry .

That phrase refers to the scripts already in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

But the docs seem to be telling you that it runs those scripts first,
then starts itself up (without needing to have its own script there).
In that case, relax, you've got what you want already.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

Apprentice Klingon Interpreter