Date:      Sat, 07 Mar 1998 01:03:45 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "SegR" <SegR@shaw.wave.ca>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multiple computers via single connection...

Your message isn't really something for freebsd-isp. -questions would be
more appropriate for this.

At 01:29 AM 3/7/98 -0700, SegR wrote:
>Hi All.
<<<snip>>>>
>From what I understand I could setup FBSD as a proxy server so that the rest
>of the LAN can access the NET through the ISP.
Yup.

>A little info:
>My ISP:
>My ISP client setup is quite easy.  A Motorola Cable modem hooked up via NIC
>card. IP and DNS is assigned via DHCP server.
Same modem, but I get a static IP. You'll just need to get the WIDE DHCP or
ISC DHCP clients on your FreeBSD system.

>My LAN:
>My LAN isn't that big, actually it will only be on client (does not include
>the BSD box).  However I need the capability of adding other machines at a
>later time.

>Possible Possibilites:
>#4 Setup a BSD box as a proxy hook computers on second NIC card.

Best way to do it. I've got 4-5 systems (one's a laptop) sharing a cable
modem connection  in exactly the same way.

>#3 Quick setup under 1hour (I have done this before).  Slow thourougput
>performance.
Don't know about this...i got it done in one day, interrupted by work and
school.

>So finally my question is, how do I go about achieving option #4.
1) Do the physical setup as described above.
2) Install a DHCP client and get the FreeBSD machine's internet connection
working.
3) Install NATD on the FreeBSD gateway. (i've found a carefully set-up
SOCKS5 server to be good too, in case you need mIRC or some other program
which doesn't like natd).
4) Install firewalling on the FreeBSD gateway.
5) Set up the Win95 system to use the FreeBSD machine as a gateway
(described in the pedantic PPP primer at www.freebsd.org/tutorials)

Good luck and have fun!

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org