Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:50:42 +0000
From:      Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@icparc.ic.ac.uk>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@ve7tcp.ampr.org>
Cc:        Christiaan Keet <keet@mordor.plig.net>, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mirror keeps crashes

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

> > Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > > I run ftp.dk.freebsd.org, and I have a problem, my mirror keeps crashing,
> > > probably due to the wast number of files.
>
> No, it's hitting a kernel-enforced per-process VM limit. There's a
> kernel parameter you need to bump up:
>
>   options         MAXDSIZ="536870912UL"   #512 MB
>
> This ups the per-process VM limit to 512MB. You still might have to
> fiddle with your shells limit command as well.

If you are *really* *really* keen and *really* *really* brave then an
experimental copy of mirror 2.9 will appear in
	sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk packages/mirror/experimental/
within the next couple of days.   This accepts a new option:
	algorithm=1
which tells mirror to do its work a directory at a time.  This means
less memory needed but a higher load on the server mirror is pulling
back from as it will run a 'dir' command for each directory.

I've been using it to mirror a couple of very large sites without
problems.

--
Lee McLoughlin.                         Phone: +44 171 594 8388
IC-Parc, Imperial College,              Fax:   +44 171 594 8432