Date:      Thu, 2 May 2013 10:54:56 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Dimitry Andric" <dimitry@andric.com>, "Alfred Perlstein" <alfred@ixsystems.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: potential future proofing fix for aicasm build.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dimitry Andric" <dimitry@andric.com>

> On 2013-05-02 09:47, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> I just remembered I had an issue with aicasm when compiling our kernel that didn't
>> have ahc or ahd on an 8.3 box. The fix was to manually delete the kernel obj
>> directory before compiling after doing a full make buildworld.
>>
>> For some reason there was some cruft left in there that running make buildkernel
>> wasn't cleaning out, could you be suffering from a similar issue?
>
> Well, a way to reproduce the problem would be nice.  I tried running
> "make buildkernel" in a stable/9 tree on a 10.0 machine, and building
> aicasm went just fine.  So it works for me...

I think what I did was the following:-
1. make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYCONF -j10 # failed due to aicasm
2. make buildworld -j10 # Realised I'd forgotten to build world
3. make buildkernel -j10 # still failed due to aicasm
4. rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYCONF
5. make buildkernel -j10 # worked

So I think the mistake that triggered it was I didn't build world before
building kernel, however I've not tried reproducing.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.