Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 12:41:07 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux emulation & esddsp

I run KDE.

<flame>Why the hell can't they add esd emulation to artsd or vice-versa?
Having to 'artsdsp esd' just so I can 'esddsp' some other app is fscking
dumb.</flame>

I have successfully used the linux-realplayer port with the sound card,
but only if artsd is suspended. In general I have had much better luck
using esddsp to ESound-ify some application than artsdsp.

Note that the first thing I tried was real's built-in esound support. No
good. 'cannot open audio device'.

Of course, being a linux app, it will need the Linux versions of
libesddsp.so and so on, but it will require them to be installed in
/usr/local/lib so that the (freebsd) esddsp shell script works.

So I fetched Redhat's esound and audiofile rpm, converted them to cpio,
extracted just the libraries I needed, put them in
/compa/linux/usr/local/lib, editted /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf to add
/usr/local/lib, ran an ldconfig, discovered it wanted glibc 2.2.x,
fetched that installed *2.2.2* into /compat/linux/lib, ldconfig'd again.

But nothing has changed.

I can run netscape just fine, real just fine, but neither of them
cooperate with esound despite being run with 'esddsp'.

Has anyone gotten this to work?