Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:25:28 +0000
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root-on-ZFS upgrade question

On Tuesday 04 Nov 2014 15:11:46 krad wrote:

> I would go old school and do a buildworld and kernel, then set the
> DESTDIR variable when you do the install parts and mergmaster

If you use beadm to create and mount a new environment and then chroot
into it to build the world and kernel as described earlier in this
thread then you won't need to bother about setting DESTDIR.

> Then activate and reboot.
>
> finally tweak pkg.conf to point at 10 rather than 9,

No need to tweak it - /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf contains the line:

pkg will evaluate this to match the OS version and hardware of the
boot environment.

To avoid conflicts with your 9.x system you need to keep /usr and
/usr/local inside your boot environment structure..

> and then do a pkg upgrade -f

Since you've changed release level it's safer to sort out the packages
after booting the new environment instead of in a chroot.

Safer to make a list of all your packages then delete them all and
reinstall.

Also you should have the correct version of pkg for your current OS so
cd to /usr/ports-mgmt/pkg and run make install before attempting to
install or upgrade the rest of your packages.

--
Mike Clarke