Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 09:00:13 -0600
From:      TENEBRAE <tenebrae@flash.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Internal network transfers

Hello folks,

I've got FTP servers setup on both a Windows box and a FreeBSD box.  Both
are connected to a 4 port hub, and the hub is connected to my Alcatel 1000
ADSL modem via a crossover cable on the 4th port.  Both boxes can reach the
outside world just fine as far as browsing the web, downloading,
etc.  That's no problem at all.

The problem is, I've been using the BSD box to store files because I was
running out of room already on the Windows machine's HD, and was putting
them in my home dir on the BSD machine (it has an 8.4G HD).  I can send
files _to_ the BSD machine just fine, averaging about 1100+ KB/s, but when
I try to pull them back to the Windows box, my transfer rates are extremely
slow, as it's currently sending it over at about 3KB/s.  I can ping and
traceroute the Windows box and the avg is .345ms on both, and traceroute
shows one hop.  I've got an FTP session open to a unix box on the net, also
on xDSL, and it's going out to that box at 13.38 KB/s, which is the max for
my DSL line.

I thought it may have been an issue with the port I was using on the
Windows box' FTP server, which was a non-standard port (well above port
21), so I switched it to port 21, and it yields the same results.  Whether
I FTP in from the Windows box to BSD, and download the files, or if I FTP
in from the BSD box to the Windows box and upload the files, same
results.  I've even toggled 'passive' mode, to no avail.

At a friend's suggestion, I switched my subnet from 255.255.255.0 to
255.255.255.252 on both boxes (as I've 4 static IPs, .232 to .235), and I
actually get 'network unreachable' on BSD, and I saw that it was trying to
use xxx.xxx.xxx.235 as the broadcast address, which would be the case if I
were using ISDN, but DSL doesn't work that way, all of it's IPs are
routable.  With the subnet set to 255.255.255.0, it's using a broadcast
address of xxx.xxx.xxx.255.  I've tried different ports on the hub, and
I've tried using the other IPs, and all yield the same results.

I'm absolutely baffled, so if any of you have any suggestions, I'd be very,
VERY appreciative.
      -W.P.