Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:29:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      jason+freebsd@kanda.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question on this list

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Kent Stewart wrote:

> I find it necessary to filter on -questions, -stable, -hackers,
> cvs-all and etc. That way doesn't do this. When they cc you directly,
> it goes into my inbox and I don't want that to happen.

Thats why I always sign up for mailing lists with an address like:

  jason+freebsd@kanda.com

The procmail recipe becomes very straightforward and virtually infallable:

:0:
* $EXTENSION ?? freebsd
freebsd

It also has a few other advantages.

1. When I unsubscribe from a mailing list I can switch off the address,
which is great if the e-mail addresses have been harvested for spamming.

2. Anyone who replies to my messages on or off list will also end up in
that mailbox. (avoiding the CC problem above), if I want further
corresponance in my main inbox I just adjust my reply address.

This works with postfix+procmail.

Jason