Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:38:09 +1000
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can FreeBSD apply security updates without making world?

Hi folx

I'm having trouble working out how to automatically install the
latest security patched versions of server software (eg BIND).

I would have thought there'd be a way of getting the latest port, or
the latest package if it's available, and installing it.

However the problem with ports is that you virtually have to upgrade
your OS to the very latest version in order for the latest port to
actually build. (not always the case, but mostly).

what about packages, is the way to go to download a package for the
OS version you're running (eg FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE or 4.1-RELEASE) and
install it over the top of what you've got?

What about existing config files? Will installing new packages over
the top of already installed ports "just work", or will it require
backing up all data/configs and fiddling around with it afterwards?

Thanks, and please cc: your responses to my email address,
jesse@va.com.au, as i'm not a subscriber to freebsd-questions.

Cheers

jesse

--
       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au

     Email: jesse (at) va.com.au            > Web Hosting
     Phone: +61 8 8223 2288                 > Streaming Media Hosting
         ?: http://jesse.va.com.au          > Telehousing / Colocation
                                            > Internet Application Design

          "This is the time, and this is the record of the time. "