Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 21:25:21 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        "Scott A. Moberly" <smoberly@karamazov.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help setting up a transparent proxy

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 04:50:41PM -0600, Scott A. Moberly wrote:

> > I am trying to set up a transparent squid proxy with ipfw.  I am
> > using FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE (current as of today), version 2.5_1 of
> > squid.  I have read the relevant information on the squid Web site
> > and searched the FreeBSD mail archive.  I am pretty sure I have
> > everything set up right but it just does not work.

...snip...

> > What am I missing?
>
> Looks like an infinite loop to me.  If this is on a gateway machine,
> you might try:
>
> $fwcmd add fwd 127.0.0.1,3128 from INTERNAL_NETWORK to any 80

Thanks; that was it.

Is there any way to have the gateway/proxy machine also use the proxy
cache transparently?  Apparently, packets destined for outbound port 80
from the gateway/proxy machine are coming from the external interface
(cable modem) rather than the internal interface.  This makes sense as
the default route is on the external interface.  Is it possible to make
those packets appear to come from the internal interface?  Not a big
deal but I am curious.

Thanks for your help.

--
Glenn Johnson