Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:38:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Robert Uzzi" <ruzzi@compedgeracing.com>
To:        "Andrea Venturoli" <ml.diespammer@netfence.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI Express 1x NIC

> Hello.
> I'v got an MB which is going to run 6.0/AMD64. It features a "PCI
> Express x1" slot.
> Has anyone had any experience with such a NIC? Altought this is gonna be
> Gigabit, I'm more insterested in stability than in performance.
>
> Also, slightly OT, is PCI-Express aka PCI-X? Or is it PCI-E? None of the
> two? :)
>
>   bye & Thanks
> 	av.

PCI-X is a parallel bus at 100 or 133mhz PCI-Express is a newer serialized
bus with the capabilities of bonding more channels. It comes in the
following flavors 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, and 64x. In testing Raid on
ROMB devices we found large increases in performance using PCI-Express
over older technologies.