Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:25:40 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: One more: emulators/xzx

> Maybe so, Jordan, but as someone who is regularly recognized as a
> spokesman for the FreeBSD core team, I consider it less than
> professional for you to use profanity when other phrases will do,

Perhaps so, but then if I was a traditional grey-striped suit type
then I probably wouldn't even BE here, so you should at least take
context into account.

> report, even if the person had sent numerous bogus reports.  I guess
> that in a volunteer organization, it's hard to get reprimanded by
> superiors, or fired.

No, it's far easier just to walk away and quit, which is why we try
not to be too hard on people for things like this.  As I said before,
personal attacks are right out, but if someone wants to use the
occasional four-letter word in this channel then I don't think it
quite constitutes grounds for writing indignant letters to Miss
Manners.

> On a related subject, I'm also annoyed with the way some rugrats camp
> in the #FreeBSD IRC channel and spend most of their time talking about
> their sex lives, or lack thereof (if one excludes onanism).  This,
> too, provides a poor image of FreeBSD to someone who is trying to
> learn more about FreeBSD.

Erm...  Your point being?  We should appoint IRC police, perhaps, to
make sure that discussion in such anarchistic forums follows more
acceptable lines?  One hardly requires the cognitive abilities of
Albert Einstein to know that such a scheme would work not at all, even
if someone foolish enough to try to administer IRC could be found.

> I think it takes a lot of postive PR to undo the damage created with
> casual profanity used here and on IRC, especially when we're trying to
> convince others that FreeBSD is a better alternative to commercial
> operating systems.

My advice is to simply live with it and learn how and where freeware
or other volunteer projects diverge from their more staid corporate
brethren.  That and perhaps also learn which Internet forums are
simply unregulable and foolish to complain about.  IRC, as an example,
is and has been a CESSPOOL for years, and if you're there looking for
quality information then you're already very much in the wrong place
and should leave quickly.

FreeBSD *is* a better alternative to many commercial operating
systems, but its merits are more properly weighed on technical grounds
rather than the extremely diverse views and commentary of its
developers (or, for that matter, users).

					Jordan