Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:48:41 +1200
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   'df' shows 'avail' is < zero !

Hi - When I do a 'df' I can see that I have a negative 'avail' value. I'm
rather surprised this is possible ! It's on the file system which is
dedicated to the '/' mount point.

My primary question is will the machine reboot in this state ? I
don't want to find out by trying !

I know how I entered this situation and I'm trying to resolve it (ie get
the stuff that's been spewed all over root off the filesystem) but in
the meantime it would be nice to know what the situation is wrt a
reboot.

BTW what does it mean to -ve 'avail' value, has the O/S actually
allocated more space than it was given in the first place ? I'm
confused !

thanks

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd