Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:52:11 -0800
From:      "Jeff Yeo" <j.yeo@attcanada.net>
To:        "FBSDQuestions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How-to for simple DNS?

I am setting up a firewall (using natd and ipfw) between
an internal LAN and my ISP.  I discovered that the internal
PCs cannot use the ISP DNS servers through natd (I suppose
this is a given for those of you who are more experienced).

Using tcpdump, I see that natd is blocking the UDP responses
from the ISP's DNS server.  I've searched the mail archives,
but the only refernces I could find dealt with situations where the
UDP port was known for both inbound and outbound traffice (i.e.
playing Quake etc.)  In this case, the DNS client selects a
"random" ephemeral outbound UDP port so I can't see how to
apply any of the methods mentioned in the archives.

Is there a way around this, other than setting up a DNS on
the firewall box?

If I do have to set up DNS on the firewall, I just want the DNS
on the firewall to forward any local requests to the ISP DNS
and return the results.  I've got limited resources on this box
(disk and RAM) and don't want to load it up too too much.  I
don't really need to do maintain any DNS entries for hosts
on the local network, and don't want to "publish" any entries
externally either.  Guess I'm looking for more of a DNS proxy
than a server.

I've looked at a number of sources, and they all seem to
deal with configuring a full-blown DNS server.  Can anyone point
me to anything that covers what I want to do?  I am fairly new
at this, so it certainly is possible that the answer is staring
me in the face and I don't know it.

Just to provide a complete picture of what is going on in the box,
the firewall can't seem to resolve host names against the ISP DNS
anyway.  The /etc/resolv.conf contains the correct nameserver
entries, and the /etc/host.conf has "hosts" before "bind".

Any suggestions, pointers, URLs, or otherwise would be greatly
appreciated.

Jeff