Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:12:22 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, jak@cetlink.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LINT is missing examples for sio1-3 ? GENERIC does so

On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 03:42:54AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Unfortunately, I have to note in regard to this last point that it
> very definitely *has* become documentation and whether that was
> anyone's original intentions or not.  It has simply evolved, like so
> many things in FreeBSD. I and many other people use "see LINT" as
> a popular answer to kernel configuration questions ...

Hmm, to second that, it's certainly easier for a developer, to add
a quick note into LINT in ASCII, if a new feature comes up, than to
think about writing/changing documentation in SGML.

That should/could be done by people, who have committed themselves
to write documentation.

I'll wait some time before I'm going to commit the changes, I
respect all of your pros and cons. But I think what Jordan
lastly said reflects every days practice. I always dig around
in LINT if I'm going to configure the kernel .... And I'm really
happy, if I find a good piece of information .... That's indeed
user friendly.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm