Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:27:34 -0500
From:      "cmustard@nyc.rr.com" <cmustard@nyc.rr.com>
To:        q_dolan@yahoo.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new install of 5.2 ISO aft hour system freeze cold reboot onlyoption

> Everything runs fine for about an hour and a half then everything freeze=
(=20
> doesnt recognize keyboard, mouse, anything etc ) and i have to do a cold=
=20
> reboot ( ouch! )=2E

Do you have X running or any additional cards/devices/drivers in use in
the machine when this occurs? Which ethernet are you using etc=2E

-with X running or not, the only possibly 'non-standard' thing running is
the 4-way usb/multimeida kvm switch i'm using=2E (iogear) but other than
being a half-assed cheap switch it's working correctly and doesnt' seem to=

have anything to do with this=2E
I have 2 onboard nics, a 3-com and nvida built in but i'm using a SMC
(Accton|SMC2-1211TX) which is working fine, also seems to be unrelated=2E

> I do believe this to be related to ACPI but have no proof=2E=20

Does this still happen with ACPI disabled?

- good question, i have been trying to track this down to bios or other
settings or issues before running the kernel with ACPI permently disabled
but that may do it=2E  I'll boot tonight with it off and see if that helps=
=2E

>Having ACPI enabled can also cause interrupt related problems in some
configurations=2E

- do you mean disabling ACPI in the kernel when it asks if you want to
permanetly disable?=20

-------------
I also recieved this answer from a user:
In bios=20
Disable power management options=2E=20
Set operation system option to other, or just not ms/windows,=20
disable all plug-n-play options=2E=20

I did this last night and it ran for 2 hours without incident=2E
(had to go out, didn't want to take the chance of it freezing up when not
home, so i shutdown) but it did run for 2 hours with no problems and did
not freeze up=2E

thanks for the responses

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E