Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:43:58 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The 99,999-bug question: Why can you execute from the stack?

On Jul 19,  2:47pm, Brett Glass wrote:
> We're going to be spending about a man-month rebuilding a complex system
> that was hacked due to a buffer overflow exploit. Looking back at our
> system log files, I can see exactly how the hack was done and how the
> perpetrator was able to get root.
>
> What I CAN'T understand is why FreeBSD allows the hack to occur. Why on
> Earth would one want to allow code to be executed from the stack? The Intel
> segmentation model normally prevents this, and there's additional hardware
> in the MMU that's supposed to be able to preclude it. Why does the OS leave
> this gigantic hole open? Why not just close it?

Making the stack non executable doesn't stop buffer overflow attacks;
see www.geek-girl.com/bugtraq/ for more information.  Its still
useful for stopping script monkeys though so I ordered a set of
intel manuals with the idea of doing this but I haven't got around
to it yet, maybe soon.

Niall

--
Niall Smart.        PGP: finger njs3@motmot.doc.ic.ac.uk