Date:      5 Aug 2000 06:15:41 -0700
From:      ct sgn <ctsgn@altavista.com>
To:        webmaster@wmptl.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Checking Out' process less cumbersome than Microsoft's (was: no  subject)

On Fri, 04 August 2000, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> ct sgn wrote:
> >
> > I would like to a suggestion.
> >
> > Maybe it's just me but, I would like to simply download your OS and any documentation required for installation guidence, burn it to a CD and go from there. I appreciate the in-depth level of your site but find the same in-depth nature to be overwhelming for simply checking something out. I'll get serious later if I find the whole 'Checking Out' process less cumbersome that Microsoft's.

> You should give your message a subject, there are MANY messages that go
> through this list every day. Without a subject your's may just get
> passed by.
>     I'm not sure what you mean by 'I would like to a suggestion.' Do you
> mean you would like to make a suggestion? About the whole download/burn
> idea; there is a full ISO image file which you can use to burn the
> FreeBSD installation cdrom with. You can download this one singular
> file, and burn it to a cdrom using just about any major cd-rom recording
> software out there, including those for M$ Windows.
>     Then you just boot off of that cdrom and it'll take you through a
> step-by-step installation of the system. It doesn't get much easier than
> FreeBSD's "Standard Installation". If you find that too cumbersome to
> bother with then you're probably not ready to just jump into a unix
> (like) system anytime soon. WHere you said "I'll get serious later if I
> find the whole 'Checking Out' process less cumbersome that
> Microsoft's.", what did you mean? That you'd get serious when the whole
> checking out process became less cumbersome than that of Microsoft's?
> You ever try and install Backoffice server, or configure an NT server to
> act as a simple mail server/FTP server? You'd be stuck clicking and
> dragging for half-an-hour before you got to the same point you would be
> at with the base install of FreeBSD; and even then you'd have no where
> near the performance.
>     To make it short, I think you might want to read over this message and
> repost one with some better formed questions, and possibly a subject:
> header. As far as I can see it, you didn't ask any real questions, just
> implied them while trying to make FreeBSD sound too difficult for you.
>

> --
> Nathan Vidican
> webmaster@wmptl.com
> Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
> http://www.wmptl.com/

Thanks for your timely response.

I appreciate your directions but had I seen the 'Plain-English' used by 99% of users about how to do this then I would'nt have e-mailed now would I!

I'm glad to see that you have not wasted any time to start belittling your users. Maybe my idea of a new operating system is not that of ease and 'less cumbersome than Microsoft' but that of customer SUPPORT and SERVICE. Please, keep this in mind as you journey through life. Be a kind soul.

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html