Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:40:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mike" <root@unixhideout.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: locate.updatedb problem

> keanu wrote:
>
>> after a world/kernel update, my updatedb no longer works
>>
>> <~> /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
>> /usr/libexec/locate.mklocatedb: 87: Syntax error: "||" unexpected
>>

>> <~> cat /usr/libexec/locate.mklocatedb
>> 85:        $bigram < $filelist | $sort -nr |
>> 86:        perl -ne '/^\s*[0-9]+\s(..)$/ && print $1 || exit 1' >
>> $bigrams
>

> I located the vi prompt on line 86 and did a "j" which appended line  87
> to it. I suspect that something changed is csh because there was a
> patch to the -current version of the script.
>
> Kent
>

>> 87:            || exit 1
>> 88:        $code $bigrams < $filelist || exit 1
>>

>> (FreeBSD jessica.keanu.be 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #3: Wed Aug  7
>>  20:09:04 CEST 2002
>> keanu@jessica.keanu.be:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Jessica   i386)
>>
>> anyone else had this problem?
>> any way to fix it?
> --
> Kent Stewart
> Richland, WA
> http://users.owt.com/kstewart/index.html

I have a lot of people on my lists complaining of similar errors. For
example one of their rc.d scripts (mysql-server.sh) no longer "works" and
gives the same error. I believe your problem is the src you got, or
something that was broken. Try editing your cvsup file, and getting source
from a different server,
running the update, and then build your world. That would be my suggestion.
--
Those of you who act like you know everything are very annoying to those
of us who do. You can easily play a joke on a man who likes to argue, just

Need to get a hold of me?
 finger sagacious@unixhideout.com