Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:55:44 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@zeus.theinternet.com.au>, petrilli@dworkin.amber.org, gbieker@crown.NET, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is there no info on the QPOPPER hack?

> Possibly. But in this case, by the time I found out about the problem,
> someone else could already have fixed it and it could have been installed
> automatically on the system. Why re-implement the wheel or duplicate
> another's effort?

To jump in on Brett's side for a second here (wow! :), I would also
like to say that than an "automatic updating service" like this would
probably do more good than harm in the long run and is probably
worth pursuing.

However, due to general lack of time and resources in the project
coupled with the important fact that I wouldn't want the project to be
behind the legal 8-ball the first time this auto-update mechanism was
compromised into an "auto-crack" mechanism, I'd sooner see this put
together on an entirely INFORMAL basis by someone outside the project.
It's not something I think we need or want to get into the middle of.

Code up a proof of concept, deal with the security issues behind
implementing it and see who you can sign up as "customers" of such a
mechanism.  I'd be perfectly happy to see Brett lead an effort like
that and, since he's now sort of put himself on the spot by suggesting
it, will direct anyone wishing to get involved in such an effort to
Brett's doorstep.

- Jordan