Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 09:19:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Peter <peterk@americanisp.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Follow-up:--TX underrun, increasing TX threshold -- is dc0 driver broken?? Linksys broken??

Ok -- I get the TX underrun error about 4 times, then it goes to the
'Using store and forward method'.

Now to transfer a 30MB .wav file in windows on the same machines take
about 20-25 seconds,
[done via netbios -- windows sharing, not via ftp server]

on FreeBSD [same machines, just about same kernel config running
4.3-Stable] it takes
anywhere from 70 to 200 seconds [I've hit 359 one time]. -- [Done via
ftp/ftpd].

On FreeBSD I get lots of collisions, about 75% of the time that my
transfer light lights up,
my collision light goes up on the hub. In win95 it does not.

I've tried doing this same transfer in Full-Duplex and just 100baseTX
mode, in full-duplex
[which i was told not to use since i'm running a hub] - I've maxed out at
512 Kbytes/sec,
I was lucky, otherwise the transfers are usually in the 100's or lower and
I get lots of
collisions.  I can't even play MP3's live from one PC to another via NFS
as it skips
[yet again in Windows it does not via Netbios].

Cards are Linksys LNE100TX [v 4.x] with a Linksys HUB [came with the
FENSK05 home
networking kit].

My assumption on all this is that in Windows [running
Netbios/Netbuie/IPX/SPX/TCP/IP]
I can play mp3's from one on another live via windows shares, in FreeBSD I
can't play
via Samba on win95 box, nor can I play via NFS on both boxes it just
skips, and I get
lots of collision on the hub.  Most test are done trying to play mp3's
across the network.
I will know my network/NICS/hubs is working when I can accomplish that :).

Has anyone had bad experiences with Linksys cards ?
Should I buy 3com?
Should I buy Intel?
If they work fine in Windows -- is the driver broken [anyone else using
these cards fine?]
Can it be some other configuration? Like the MTU rate? [1500]

Does anyone know of a testing utility I can use to see what the problem
is?
Is there another driver I should use?
Should I send this to -net?
Should I send this to -hackers?

ifconfig shows them running fine with 100baseTX mode [and full-duplex if i
force it]

There are only two machines on this hub, both dual boot win95 and freebsd
4.3, both
are 233 MMX, one with 48 MB RAM and the other with 32MB RAM.

--Fortune--
"My weight is perfect for my height -- which varies"

--- www.nul.cjb.net --- The Power to Crash!
--- www.FreeBSD.org --- The Power to Serve!