Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 13:38:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkb@best.com (Jan B. Koum)
Cc:        bear@pacificnet.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware and Stuff

> 	Develop, implement and start the database. We will populate it. :)
> 	Put a www interface to it.. it would be really cool if you can get
> one of the coming out Linux port of Informix/Oracle to work too.
> 	You don't need anyone's permission to do this. FreeBSD is just as
> your OS as it is mine.

Oracle runs on FreeBSD, and ran on FreeBSD before they thought of a
Linux port.

NCI, the company John Dyson works for, is a subsidiary of Oracle
(Network Computers Inc. is a Larry Ellison company).

The NCI server (currently) runs FreeBSD, and runs a copy of Oracle
to back up some of the network computing initiative.

I have it on good authority that Yahoo runs this port of Oracle, as well.

It would be worthwhile to convince Oracle to sell the port commercially,
especially given their announcement of a Linux port being started.  This
is one area where FreeBSD can beat Linux to the gun...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.