Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XView question

Hello:
	I'm relatively new to FreeBSD (since 3.2) and I have a question about
textedit (yes, textedit). I have been working in the UNIX environment since
the mid 80's (starting with Sun OS running Openwindows) so my attachment
to textedit is genuine. :)
	Anyway I have been able to successfully install textedit on
previous UNIX systems except FreeBSD4.3. Something is different
about how 4.3 handles the X windowing system. (I've noticed that
some of the directories have moved since 4.2, is this due to the
distribution of XFree86? I am running XFree86-3.3.6 that came with
the 4.3 distribution disk. I have downloaded the /usr/ports/xview
and /usr/ports/textedit sources and successfully compiled them on
4.3, however, textedit will not run using the installed X server
on the 4.3 system. I get:

  XView error: Cannot open connection to window server: jordan.llnl.gov:0.0 (Server package)

However, textedit will run over a network and successfully uses
the X-server on the remote client box. It just crashes
when it tries to use the X-server that came with the 4.3
distribution.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I know that textedit is old, but I'm productive with
it and would like to continue with it if I can.

			Ed Alley
			wea@llnl.gov

P.S.
	Although I am a member of some of the digest
groups (freebsd-questions-digest for one) I am not
a member of freebsd-questions so please cc your
response to me rather than directly to freebsd-questions
as I wouldn't get the answer until the digest comes
out. :-)

		Thanks
			Ed
:wq