Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 00:54:49 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        peter@netplex.com.au, perhaps@yes.no, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amanda port, empty PATCH_STRIP= lines causes trouble

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> IMO, we should back out the new patch in -current now, and wait at
> least until the next release with the "fixed" cvs before we re-enable
> it.  There is no need to force hardship on our developers.

It seems that you mix several problems in one.  I repeat (already many
times) that both new and old patch handle Index:  equally. It was bug in
CVS diff affects _both_ new and old patch which was masked by "fixing" old
patch localy in FreeBSD which cause bugs with world-wide patches. Now old
patch is "unfixed" back and CVS is fixed instead. It means that old and
new patch handle Indexes equally (repeat one more). I wonder if anybody
really read what I write? It seems any junk can be written in the middle
of the message without a notice. There was different problems in new patch
related to no backups and -p strip slashes vs. path componetns, both
documented in patch(1). _Before_ importing of new patch I ask everybody
about this problems and nobody seems to react which confirm that nobody
read what I write. I don't plan to waste time for importing and then
backing out. You should answer something before I plan to import. More
practical reason is that -current is place for new soft integrating and
patch integration is neccessary part so must happen sonner or later (I
already write that and repeat now to increase probability that someone
will read). Your bsd.port.mk system is not _golden_code_ remains untouched
by any price, so you must think how to adopt and handle new changes, it is
your task, not mine.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>