Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 00:01:41 GMT
From:      "irado" <irado@subdimension.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Philip Pereira <info@wintellect.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: DNS - where am I going wrong? Or am I stupid?

> Have two boxes (still):
> BOX1 - FreeBSD server on 192.168.1.1 (this one to be DNS
for LAN)
>               hostname: freeserver.wintellect.com
> BOX2 - FreeBSD workstation on 192.168.1.2
>               hostname: freework.wintellect.com
>
> I'm sure I'm getting the DNS files right! But, whenever I
type:

> "host freework"        or
> "host freework freeserver"
> on BOX1 I get:
> "Host not found, try again."
>
> Have done my homework first - lots of reading and checked
examples on th
> web - before seaking your help!

well the very first rule is to know what your
/var/log/messages has to show us (errors there?

restart the named (either ndc restart or the rc.XXX??) and
observe (tail -f /var/log/messages) for eventual error
messages. If no errors, then use nslookup. When calling
nslookup at the line prompt, it will tell you WHAT server is
resolving names for you.

Try this, then come back.
hih.

greetings,
irado furioso com tudo
Linux User 179402

there are more crimes under religions than under atheism.