Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 21:51:01 -0400
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        Joel Eusebio <joel@tilapia.pang.pworld.net.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: transparent proxy

Sunday, July 02, 2000, 9:32:39 PM, you wrote:
JE> Hi,
JE> I followed your instructions and I was succesfull in compiling a new
JE> kernel with IP_FIREWALL, IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE, IP_DIVERT and IP_FORWARD
JE> activated but when rebooted and tried to ping one of my servers it says
JE> "permission denied"  what did I do wrong??? Another is if I compiled a new
JE> kernel from my understanding the previous kernel will be named kernel.old
JE> how would I use this kernel.old in case my new kernel does not work.
JE> Thanks a lot.

JE> ------------------------>jOEl

JE> On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

>> On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 01:34:32PM +0000, Joel Eusebio wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> > Do I have to tweak the GENERIC kernel on /usr/src/sys to activate ipfw
>>
>> No, you can just load the KLD.
>>
>> > and
>> > what does LINT do???
>>
>> It is not a working kernel. It just lists all (pretty close to all
>> anyway) of the things you could put into a kernel config file and has
>> some useful comments.
>>
>> > If so what are the values that I have to add in the
>> > GENERIC kernel or in the LINT in order for ipfw or natd to work???
>>
>> Go to the LINT kernel and search for IPFIREWALL. Also, see ipfw(8),
>> natd(8), and divert(4).
>>
>> > BTW I'm
>> > setting up a transparent proxy on my 4.0-stable and I've posted this
>> > before and tried the suggestions that was given to me by some helpfull
>> > people but still I can't make transparent proxy to run. Thanks again
>>
>> Well, transparent proxies need more options to run, namely,
>> IPFIREWALL_FORWARD.
>>
>> Copy GENERIC to some new file, the machine name is a popular choice,
>> add the lines you figure out you need, delete things that came from
>> GENERIC that you don't need, and build a new kernel.
>> --
>> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

Hello Joel,

1- To boot an old kernel, just type boot kernel.old at the boot prompt
(I believe you have to hit a key first...I am not currently at my
machine to make sure)
2- To ping, you need to enable ICMP which looks like this as one of my
IPFW rules in /etc/rc.firewall

# ICMP - for ping, etc
${fwcmd} add pass icmp from any to any

See www.freebsddiary.org and www.mostgraveconcern/freebsd/ along with
the handbook and manpages for more info.

This works for me.

Good luck,
Neill
freebsd@nc.rr.com