Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:55:05 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Zhihui Zhang" <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can not ping myself

>I have two machines box1 and box2 connected via a parallel cable. I can
>ping from one machine to the other:
>
>box1# ping box2   or box2# ping box1
>
>But I can not ping myself:
>
>box1# ping box1   or box2# ping box2
>
>It says "no route".  These two machines do not connect to the outside
>network. They run Freebsd 4.0-release. The /etc/hosts contains the
>following:
>
>192.168.1.0 box1 box1.home.org
>192.168.1.1 box2 box2.home.org

1) If you're not the owner of 'home.org', don't use it (yes, it is a real
domain name). Use box1.home or something similar.

2) Don't use the x.x.x.0 address, since x.x.x.0 represents the whole
network.

3) Make sure you have your loopback address in /etc/hosts:

        127.0.0.1             localhost.home localhost

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor
On Matters of Most Grave Concern