Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:57:57 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to find an ip address if you know mac address?

On 15 Jul 2000 19:56:51 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

arp will help, but that assumed the machine you are on has it in its arp
cache which is not always the case.  Often it will, but sometimes it wont,
and short of pinging all your machines on the same segment, one trick that
can help narrow things down is to look up the manufacturer's code to help
narrow things down... Particularly so when you have a heterogenous network.

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
has a listing of them all.

	---Mike

>If your FreeBSD machine is on the same network segment as the other box,
>arp(8) may help you.
>
>--
>mwest@uct.ac.za
>
>On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 11:56:18PM +0200, Mark Rowlands wrote:
>> possibly not the right place to be asking but .....
>> how can you find the ip address of a box (switch for example)
>> if all you have is it's mac address -
>> I have a freebsd  at my disposal so ... any ideas?

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)